Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
A field of eight Arkansas-bred 3-year-old fillies will compete for black-type honors in Friday’s $100,000 Rainbow Miss Stakes at Oaklawn Park. Trainer William VanMeter has entered a pair of Shortleaf Stable homebreds who will likely vie for favoritism in The Mary Rose and Sekani.
“Both of these fillies, unlike a lot of our previous Arkansas-breds, have speed and seem like they want to sprint, so it just seemed like the logical thing to do,” VanMeter said about entering them against each other. “It’s concerning that both fillies have quite a bit of gate speed, but at the same time I like Sekani’s draw. She’s outside and can kind of look to her inside if she doesn’t break as well and be able to put herself in an advantageous spot. The Mary Rose typically breaks well and is forwardly placed. With her being in the 2 hole, I assume she’ll do it again if she breaks well.”
The Rainbow Miss is one half of the two Arkansas-bred stakes events scheduled for Friday, joining the $100,000 Rainbow Stakes for 3-year-old males. The Rainbow Miss will be race 5 on the card and has a local post time of 4:06 PM Central.
1. Hissy Missy (20/1) – After graduating at third asking in a state-bred maiden special weight, Hissy Missy failed to menace against allowance company. She is cutting back to one turn for the first time since her debut, when she broke poorly and never factored into the running.
2. The Mary Rose (3/1) – The first of two entries from VanMeter and Shortleaf Stable, The Mary Rose is a nose away from having two wins over this course and distance. The well-bred daughter of Macho Uno defeated maidens three back here on February 7, then came up just short last out in an allowance event.
3. Julie Arkansas (20/1) – Trainer Dewaine Loy is hoping that Julie Arkansas can make it two in a row on Friday. The daughter of Jonesboro broke her maiden over this course and distance while running for a $16k tag and now makes the difficult jump to stakes company.
4. Lucky Every Day (15/1) – This JRita Young Thoroughbreds homebred is returning to stakes action after failing to menace in her past two starts. David Cohen picks up the mount aboard a filly who won her debut against open maiden special weight company at Remington Park last November.
5. Choctaw Charlie (7/2) – Despite still being a maiden, trainer John Prather, Jr., seems confident that Choctaw Charlie can get the job done Friday under invading rider Joel Rosario. She has finished second in both career starts, missing by just a neck and a head against state-bred maiden special weight rivals.
6. Proud Victoria (5/2) – Trainer Ron Moquett’s pupil began her career hot, winning her first two starts against maiden special weight and allowance fields. She was a well-beaten fourth last time out in the Downthedustryroad Stakes, but that race included older fillies and mares, plus the second- and third-place finishers both won their next starts.
7. Get One More (8/1) – A strong career unveiling convinced trainer Joe McKellar to shoot Get One More up the ladder. The 3-year-old daughter of Bind won a muddy two-turn maiden event while running for a $25k tag, but she cuts back in distance and steps up to stakes company here.
8. Sekani (3/1) – An eye-popping 10-length winner against maiden special weight rivals over this course and distance two back, the second VanMeter runner was bothered early last time out and faded in the stretch. Jockey Declan Cannon is back aboard after riding each of her three prior starts. Expect Sekani to ensure a hot early pace.
The Magic Mike Show guys preview & give their tickets… Read More
The Racing Dudes take a closer look and dish out… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys discuss the latest updates for… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude go through their brackets in a… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Louisiana Derby (G2) from Fair Grounds,… Read More
Let’s get another big Thursday of racing kicked off today!… Read More
Each week, this important article will provide the standings, power… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Purple Martin Stakes from Oaklawn Park,… Read More
Magic previews the 2023 UAE Derby (G2) from Meydan Racecourse… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!