1. Game On Dude – He holds a head to head match up win over Will Take Charge and Mucho Macho Man so he assumes the top spot for now. Most people are down on him for his second place effort in the Charles Town Classic, but I still think he ran well.
2. Wise Dan – It may not be pretty, but he just keeps on winning! Will they try him on the dirt next?
3. Will Take Charge – Not his day last time out, but I do expect him to rebound off of that effort.
4. Palace Malice – Already has two wins under his belt, with the last one being a monster effort in New Orleans. Came back looking better than ever.
5. Mucho Macho Man – No workouts since that dud race in the Santa Anita Handicap. Wondering if he has some issues again.
Sleeper: Normandy Invasion – Pointing towards the Met Mile which would be a career defining win. Like him a lot at the distance.
1. Beholder – Freak of nature! Not sure if anyone can beat her in this division.
2. Close Hatches – Two very workman like performances at Oaklawn has me thinking she has progressed even further since last year.
3. Princess of Sylmar – Easy winner in her return race. She’s one that is easy to root for considering she could have easily won the eclipse award last year.
4. On Fire Baby – She probably doesn’t stand a chance against the top three, but she is definitely the best of the rest. Her latest win made her millionaire.
5. Midnight Lucky – It was a “WOW” type effort in the Humana Distaff for her! How far can she go? Probably not more than a mile, but she’s dangerous going one turn!
Sleeper: Dreaming of Julia – If she ever makes it back in good form we don’t know how good she could end up being…
3 Year Old Males
1. California Chrome – There is no doubting he’s the top horse in this bunch as of now…can he take his show on the road?
2. Danza – Backed up that huge Arkansas Derby effort with a nice third place finish in Kentucky. Hoping he stays healthy and continues to develop.
3. Wicked Strong – Ran a predictable race in the Kentucky Derby considering the 20 hole was a killer post. He’ll be tough in the Belmont in his home state of New York.
4. Commanding Curve – It’s hard to get really excited about him just yet considering that his stable mate Golden Soul ran virtually the same race in last year’s Derby and did nothing after. Although this one may be different…
5. Samraat – He’s the fighter of the group. The horse is still yet to run a bad race.
Sleeper: Kid Cruz – Quietly winning the smaller races for three-year olds, but could sneak up on a lot of people come Preakness time.
3 Year Old Females
1. Untapable – Cleary above and beyond anyone in this group by a wide margin. Perhaps the best 3 year old…period.
2. My Miss Sophia – Ran a pretty big race in the Oaks and is now clearly second in the division. Can’t beat the top one though…
3. Unbridled Forever – It’s so far back to the next group once you get past the top two in this division. It will change weekly
4. Rosalind – Started to come on pretty well here in mid-season. Hope she continues to improve.
5. Fashion Plate – Horrific trip in the Oaks…she’s better than that.
Sleeper: Thank You Marylou – Improving steadily, but still a long ways to go.
1. Secret Circle – This division hasn’t heated up yet, but when it does he’ll be the top dog.
2. Goldencents – Haven’t seen him yet this year, but has already proven to be a monster at a mile.
3. Central Banker – That was an eye-opening victory in the Churchill Downs Stakes. Becomes an instant player after that victory.
4. Shakin It Up – Consistent efforts land him in this spot. Seven furlongs seems to be the ideal distance.
5. Gentleman’s Bet – Beginning to worry about this horse…been a long time since we’ve seen him.
Sleeper: Midnight Lucky – Her comeback race was off the charts! If she can stay healthy she might be able to beat the boys.