Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
– 1st Star: Jeranimo (FL) – What a great way for a tough California horse to kick off the Del Mar meet. Jeranimo was a huge last to first winner in the Grade 1 Eddie Read Stakes on Saturday, which was his second Grade 1 victory, but first going farther than a mile. At one point it almost looked like he had lost total contact with the field, but in what seemed like just a few strides he went from fifteen lengths behind to only three or four. The Eddie Read wasn’t the greatest field you’ll ever see for a Grade 1, but credit should still be given to Jeranimo for getting the victory even though he did have fast fractions to close into as Slim Shadey and Fed Biz set a brutal pace. The win was his first at Del Mar, and could set him up for another stakes towards closing weekend.
– 2nd Star: Reneesgotzip (KY) – The speedy superstar is back in a big way! Thursday’s featured race, an allowance, played more like a Grade 1 or 2 field, and Reneesgotzip absolutely dominated. She took the field wire to wire while setting solid fractions, and really never showed any signs of slowing down through the stretch. The win immediately got the horse racing world talking about the Breeders Cup Filly and Mare sprint, and if this horse might be one that could give champion Groupie Doll a run for her money. Whether she can do that or not remains to be seen, but it’s just really nice to have this ultra classy horse back on the track. Obviously, we can expect a stakes race next time out for her.
– 3rd Star: Wishing Gate (FL) – The old pro Gary Stevens showed up again to win a Graded race, as he guided Wishing Gate to a perfect trip in winning the Grade 2 San Clemente Stakes on Sunday. The win gave Wishing Gate her first stakes win, and also her second win at Del Mar. Wishing Gate prepped for this race at Arlington Park, where she used similar tactics sitting off the pace and pouncing for an easy score. She was helped in this one by a fairly hot pace, but she still had to do some serious running down the lane to catch the leader. Del Mar offers some nice races on grass for three-year old fillies, so I would expect to see her one more time this meet. Considering her stylish win and improving talents, this one could be a force at this distance and on this surface.
– Den’s Legacy (FL) – He went off as the 2-1 favorite in the second division of the Oceanside Stakes, but in the end he was a well beaten sixth. This was his first start on turf in seven months, but his earlier form on the grass showed that he would at least be competitive in this spot. Den’s Legacy is starting to fall into the “what do we do with him?” category as he can’t seem to find his way to the winners circle this year. Perhaps a return to the dirt is in the cards for him.
– Wednesday – The Wickerr Stakes – Three Year Olds and Upward – 1 Mile (Turf) – Purse: $90,000
– Friday – The Cougar II Handicap (Grade 3) – Three Year Olds and Upward – 1 1/2 Miles – $100,000
– Saturday – The Fleet Treat Stakes – Three Year Old State Bred Fillies – Seven Furlongs – $200,000
– Saturday – The San Diego Handicap (Grade 2) – Three Year Olds and Upward – 1 1/16 Miles – $200,000
– Sunday – The Bing Crosby Stakes (Grade 1) – Three Year Olds and Upward – Six Furlongs – $300,000
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for the $1.25… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys preview & give their tickets… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude take a look at the Rebel… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for the $400,000… Read More
Vinny from Real Dynasty Picks gives his horse racing best… Read More
The Brad Cox-trained Timberlake won the 2024 Rebel Stakes (G2)… Read More
The D. Wayne Lukas-trained Lemon Muffin won the 2024 Honeybee… Read More
The Todd Fincher-trained Senor Buscador won the 2024 Saudi Cup… Read More
The Yoshito Yahagi-trained Forever Young won the 2024 Saudi Derby… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!