ARCADIA, CA – Exiting a career-best effort last time out, Calvin Nguyen’s Aqua Seaform Shame takes another shot against stakes rivals in Saturday’s $100,000 Senator Ken Maddy Stakes (G3) at Santa Anita Park.
The Senator Ken Maddy is a 5 1/2-furlong turf sprint restricted to fillies and mares ages 3 and up. This year’s edition is the eighth event on a 10-race card and has a local post time of 4:30 PM.
Here’s a look at the full field for the Senator Ken Maddy:
1. Jo Jo Air 5/2 – She returns to California for her much-preferred firm turf surface after fading in the The Very One Stakes over a yielding Pimlico lawn. She reunites with Flavien Prat, aboard her 2 starts back when she gamely took the Daisycutter Handicap at Del Mar by a neck over Lighthouse, who returned to win the Music City Stakes last time out.
2. Biddy Duke 6/1 – This 3-year-old steps back up to face older horses after running a good second behind a record-breaking winner in the Unzip Me Stakes last time out over this course and distance. She tied her career-best Beyer Speed Figure (85), but she must turn the tables on Aqua Seaform Shame, who edged her for second by a 1/2-length in the Unzip Me.
3. An Eddie Surprise 6/1 – She makes her first start since winning February’s 5 1/2-furlong Wishing Well Stakes by a 1/2-length over her favorite course: all 5 career wins came over the Santa Anita lawn. Trainer Doug O’Neill’s first-call jockey, Mario Gutierrez, shows confidence by choosing to ride her over her two barnmates (Biddy Duke and Lakerball).
4. Lakerball 15/1 – O’Neill supplemented her into the race, which will be her first start since finishing third (beaten 2 lengths) behind a pair of future stakes winners in a local 1-mile event on March 8. O’Neill has a 10% success rate with a positive ROI when his runners return from similar layoffs, and Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith will be aboard for the first time.
Check our Handicapping Products page to find out how we are playing this and every race on the card!
5. Magic At Midnight 9/5 – This lightly-raced 4-year-old filly enters this event unbeaten in as many career starts, beginning with a debut score against maiden $30k claimers where she was tagged by her current connections. Racing protected ever since, she won her lone turf try (a 5-furlong optional-claiming sprint) by 2 3/4 lengths while returning from 11 months off.
6. Aqua Seaform Shame 4/1 – Like Biddy Duke, this 3-year-old filly steps back up to face older horses and brings a nearly-perfect turf sprint record (3-2-1-0) into her third straight stakes try. With last-out jockey Flavien Prat opting to ride Jo Jo Air, the equally-adept Umberto Rispoli will slide into the Florida-bred Kantharos daughter’s irons for the first time.
7. Zee Drop 8/1 – She cuts back to the shortest distance of her career after routing in her past 5 starts. Her lone prior turf sprint attempt was a 7-furlong dash against $40k claimers that she won in June 2019, but trainer Phil D’Amato has a 23% success rate in turf sprint stakes and has won 2 of his 9 shared mounts with her new jockey Ricky Gonzalez. Note that she’s cross-entered in Sunday’s 1-mile Goldikova Stakes (G2).