Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY – Peter Brant’s legendary mare Sistercharlie is back for another year of dominating America’s turf distaff division, making her 2020 debut in Saturday’s $200,000 Ballston Spa Stakes (G2) at Saratoga.
The Ballston Spa is a 1 1/16-mile inner turf route for females 4 and up that attracted a field of six (including one Main Track Only entry). This year’s edition is the third event on an 11-race card that also includes the Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (G1).
( Content Continues Below Ad )
Here is a look at the full field for the Ballston Spa:
1. Call Me Love 5/1 – She has won half of her 10 lifetime starts and only finished off the board once, which occurred last time out in the 1 1/4-mile New York Stakes (G2). She was a two-time Group stakes winner in Italy last year and was second in this year’s 1 1/16-mile Beaugay Stakes (G3) while making her North American debut.
2. Bramble Queen 30/1 – All 9 career wins have come on turf, including last fall’s Illini Princess Handicap at Hawthorne against her fellow Illinois-breds. She enters off of back-to-back victories against optional claimers at Tampa Bay Downs and Delaware Park, but she has never faced anything close to this level of competition.
3. North Broadway 30/1 – She is owned and trained by the same connections as the heavy favorite and has just 1 victory from 3 lifetime starts. That hints that she is entered either as a rabbit for her stablemate to chase, or just in case not enough other horses were brave enough to challenge the former champ.
4. Another Broad / – The field’s Main Track Only entry will need a downpour to send this race off the turf, and the forecasts for both Friday and Saturday look sunny. If by chance she draws in, she stands as good a chance as anyone based on her wet dirt record (6-4-1-1).
5. Sistercharlie 2/5 – The 2018 Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf (G1) Champion nearly repeated in last year’s edition, ultimately finishing third and ending her streak of six straight Grade 1 scores. She has a history of firing sharp every single start and rainer Chad Brown is an expert at returning horses fresh after long layoffs (29%).
6. Starship Jubilee 2/1 – The most likely upsetter on paper has done little wrong throughout her career and rides a 3-race win streak (all at the stakes level) heading into this event. She has yet to pop a 100+ Beyer speed figure away from Woodbine, however, and has only accomplished that feat three times total; by comparison, the favorite has earned a Beyer lower than 100 just twice.
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for this weekend’s… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys celebrate episode 500 previewing the… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude are ready to roll with college… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys preview the Late Pick 5… Read More
Dr. Miranda previews the 2023 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Stakes… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Awesome Again Stakes (G1) from Santa… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Ack Ack Stakes (G3) from Churchill… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!