Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
LEXINGTON, KY – Shadwell Stable’s undefeated Malathaat makes her long-awaited return to the races in Saturday’s $400,000 Central Bank Ashland Stakes (G1) at Keeneland.
The Ashland is a 1 1/16-mile dirt route restricted to 3-year-old fillies that offers 100-40-20-10 Kentucky Oaks (G1) points to the top four finishers. This year’s edition is the ninth event on an 11-race card that includes the Blue Grass, a Kentucky Derby (G1) prep race, and has a local post time of 5:30 PM.
Blue Grass Preview: Essential Quality Set for Final Prep
Here’s a look at the full field for the Ashland:
1. Curlin’s Catch 8/1 – She won 2 straight on dirt to start her 2021 campaign, including a 4 1/2-length triumph in the Suncoast Stakes, but was fifth in the Davona Dale Stakes (G2) last time out. The runner-up of that won last weekend’s Gulfstream Park Oaks (G2) and unites for the first time with jockey Chris Landeros, who wins at a 21% rate with a positive ROI when riding for the Mark Casse barn.
2. Pass the Champagne 4/1 – She takes a major step up in class after breaking her maiden by 2 1/2 lengths in a 7-furlong Gulfstream Park dirt sprint. Not only is this her first time facing winners, but also her first try going two turns, but at least she’s bred to handle the added distance. Hall of Fame jockey Javier Castellano shows confidence picking up the mount for the first time.
3. Simply Ravishing 5/2 – She won 3 straight to start her career, including the Alcibiades Stakes (G1) over this course and distance, before finishing a close fourth in the Breeers’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1). Off since finishing fourth in last November’s Golden Rod Stakes (G2), she worked frequently with stablemate Crazy Beautiful leading up to that one’s Gulfstream Park Oaks romp last weekend.
“It will be good to get her going,” trainer Kenny McPeek said. “Simply Ravishing is extremely talented and she won the Alcibiades, so it just seemed logical to run her back in the Ashland.”
4. Moon Swag 10/1 – She won 2 straight at Albuquerque Downs to start her career before transferring to the Brendan Walsh barn and running in 3 Fair Grounds stakes. Her best finish in any of those was third while never crossing closer than 4 lengths behind the winner and will likely go off at double-digit odds for the fourth straight start. Adam Beschizza rides for the third straight start.
5. Malathaat 9/5 – The $1 million yearling certainly looked the part last year when she won all 3 appearances, including last December’s 1 1/8-mile Demoiselle Stakes (G2) in her first try routing. Trainer Todd Pletcher called her his best 2-year-old before her debut and has put her through several weeks’ worth of works in order to get her fit. He historically wins 19% with runners returning after similar layoffs.
6. Will’s Secret 7/2 – She rides a 3-race win streak that includes the Martha Washington Stakes and the Honeybee Stakes (G3), both at Oaklawn Park. It’s interesting that she shows up here, rather than staying there for Saturday’s Fantasy Stakes (G3) that offers a larger purse and the same amount of Oaks points, but she’s already in the Oaks gate based on points. Trainer Dallas Stewart won this in 2019.
Subscribe to Racing Dudes Premium and receive our 10-page wagering guide to the 2021 Blue Grass absolutely FREE! Includes exclusive Ashland Stakes analysis and picks!
The Magic Mike Show guys preview the Late Pick 5… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude are ready to roll with college… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for Saturday’s $1,000,000… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys review the weekend’s biggest stakes… Read More
The Racing Dudes team hosted a roundtable discussion & fan… Read More
Aaron lists the top 5 best horse racing finishes that… Read More
Aaron recaps the recent Racing Dudes’ Best Bets, including which… Read More
Welcome to our weekly rankings of the top 5 best… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Ack Ack Stakes (G3) from Churchill… Read More
Saudi Crown won the 2023 Pennsylvania Derby (G1) at Parx… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!