Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
ELMONT, NY – After savaging and bumping repeatedly with the winner in the Forego Stakes (G1) last time out, Mr Amore Stable homebred Firenze Fire returns to defend his title in Saturday’s $250,000 Vosburgh Stakes (G2) at Belmont Park.
The Vosburgh is a 6-furlong dirt sprint open to horses ages 3 and up that serves as the fifth event on an 11-race card with a local post time of 2:45 PM. The race is also a Breeders’ Cup “Win and You’re In” event, awarding an automatic berth in the 2021 Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Del Mar this November.
Subscribe to Racing Dudes Premium today and receive not only our 2021 Keeneland Turf Mile wagering guide, but also get our upcoming Inside Track to the 2021 Breeders’ Cup included absolutely FREE!
Here’s a look at the full field for the Vosburgh:
1. Jalen Journey 7/2 – He finished second but was placed first via disqualification in the 6-furlong De Francis Dash (G3) at Pimlico last time out for his third win in his past 4 starts. Jockey Jose Lezcano, aboard for the first of those victories, picks the mount back up and has won 5 of his past 15 mounts for the Steve Asmussen barn. Historically, Asmussen repeats at 21% with last-out winners.
2. Good Effort 15/1 – After compiling a 29-8-4-2 record (including 4-0-1-0 on dirt) in Great Britain, Dubai, and France, he makes his American racing debut against a short but stout field of local dirt sprinters. He adds blinkers for the first time after wiring a field of allowance rivals going 6 1/2 furlongs on Deauville’s synthetic course in August and talented European jockey Wayne Lordan rides.
Did you know active subscribers receive our Inside Track wagering guides absolutely FREE? Subscribe today and be the first to receive our upcoming MONSTER wagering guide to the 2021 Breeders’ Cup!
3. Baby Yoda 7/5 – Though he waited until this past May to make his racing debut he’s done little wrong since, winning 3 of 4 starts including a 4 1/2-length romp covering 6 1/2 furlongs at Saratoga last time out. This is a sizeable step up from what he’s defeated in the past, but aside from the defending champ, there isn’t anyone scary in here. If he manages to squirt free early, he could be gone.
4. Firenze Fire 8/5 – He avenged his nose defeat in the 2019 edition with a 2 3/4-length romp last year, then finished third in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1). He began his 2021 season by winning a pair of graded dirt sprint stakes over this course, then endured a rough trip to finish fifth in the Vanderbilt Handicap (G1) prior to the Forego. He’s 7 for 11 at Belmont and 7 for 14 at this distance.
“He’s won at 7 tracks, but he’s won the most at Belmont and loves that surface,” said owner/breeder Ron Lombardi. “He’s just such a solid horse and he showed his athleticism last time out in the Forego.”
5. Following Sea 9/2 – He won 2 straight dirt sprints (including at 6 1/2 furlongs over this track) before trainer Todd Pletcher stretched him out to 1 1/8 miles in the Haskell Stakes (G1), where he crossed third (bumped up to second via disqualification). He finished third in the 7-furlong H. Allen Jerkens Memorial Stakes (G1) at Saratoga last time behind arguably the country’s best dirt sprinter and miler.
“He’s talented and I thought he ran pretty well in the Allen Jerkens. He reacted to the dirt in his face for a while, but he finished up decently,” Pletcher said. “The Haskell may have been a little too far a little too soon, but he’s held good company and had a good win over the track here over the summer.”
The Racing Dudes take a look at all 14 Breeders’… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys preview and give their tickets… Read More
With Mike dining on prime filets and freshly-caught shrimp, Magic… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys discuss what they learned from… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for 11 different… Read More
On November 5-6, 2021, the 38th annual Breeders’ Cup World… Read More
An annual tradition in horse racing is debating the strength… Read More
For the final weeks leading up to the 2021 Breeders’… Read More
We are now just two weeks away from the Breeders’… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!