Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
Welcome to our weekly rankings of the top 5 best thoroughbred horses in America by division!
Last week, V V’s Dream made a statement at Churchill Downs after winning the Pocahontas Stakes (G3) and Eternal Hope had a similarly impressive victorious performance in the Jockey Club Oaks (G3) at Belmont at the Big A.
Did either horse do enough to crack her respective division’s top 5 list? Tell us YOUR top 5 in the Comments section!
Here are my overall rankings as seen in the latest NTRA Top 10 Poll this week. The poll ranks the top thoroughbred horses based on if Horse of the Year voting was conducted at this very moment. Here’s what my last Top 10 poll looked like:
There’s a reason we’re the #1 trusted source for premium racing picks & info.
1. Up to the Mark – This is one of the best turf horses in the world right now after back-to-back dominant victories in the Turf Classic Stakes (G1) & the Manhattan Stakes (G1).
2. Cody’s Wish – He showed up with a lackluster effort in the Whitney Stakes (G1), but he still is one of the most accomplished horses in the country.
3. White Abarrio – If he can repeat his Whitney Stakes (G1) performance in the Breeders’ Cup Classic, then he could very well be the Horse of the Year.
4. Casa Creed – He took home the Fourstardave Handicap (G1) at Saratoga for the second straight season.
5. Proxy – He was a tough-luck second in the Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (G1); however, he still has a better resume than the winner.
Sleeper: Bright Future – He jumped onto the scene in a big way with a win in the Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (G1).
1. Echo Zulu – Her effort in the Ballerina Handicap (G1) was a thing of beauty.
2. Caravel – She lost against the boys at Saratoga in the Troy Stakes (G3), but she is still having an awesome season.
3. Clairiere – Despite her total non-effort in the Personal Ensign Stakes (G1), she still has a strong resume.
4. Nest – She didn’t show up with her best effort in the Personal Ensign Stakes (G1).
5. Goodnight Olive – There was no shame in her running second to Echo Zulu in the Ballerina Handicap (G1).
Sleeper: In Italian – She ran well but couldn’t do better than runner-up in the Diana Stakes (G1).
1. Arcangelo – His rise to stardom has been ultra-impressive, culminating with winning the Belmont Stakes (G1) and the Travers Stakes (G1).
2 Arabian Knight – He’s back in the picture in a big way after winning the Pacific Classic (G1).
3. Geaux Rocket Ride – His second-place effort in the Pacific Classic (G1) puts him within striking distance heading into the fall.
4. Forte – He showed up with no real effort in the Travers Stakes (G1) for the first time this year.
5. Disarm – He was becoming one of the most consistent horses in the crop; however, he is now injured and will not run again this season.
Sleeper: Mage – We’ll see if he can bounce back after a poor start in the Travers Stakes (G1).
1. Maple Leaf Mel – She was 1 stride away from defeating multiple Grade 1 winner Pretty Mischievous by 6 lengths before her tragic breakdown.
2. Pretty Mischievous – With 3 straight Grade 1 victories on her resume, this ultra-consistent Brendan Walsh trainee is the clubhouse leader to be named the 3-year-old Filly of the Year.
3. Asinette – She has dominated 3 straight turf races, including the Del Mar Oaks (G1), to stamp herself as a major player in the division.
4. Wet Paint – Her Alabama Stakes (G1) effort was solid, but she wasn’t good enough to catch the winner. She still has a solid resume heading into the fall.
5. Randomize – She picked up her first graded stakes victory with a gate-to-wire Alabama Stakes (G1) win.
Sleeper: Aspray – She looked like a monster with an impressive Lake Placid Stakes (G2) win.
1. Elite Power – He put in another good effort but could not catch Gunite in the Forego Stakes (G1).
2. Gunite – He got revenge on Elite Power in the Forego Stakes (G1) but still trails 2-1 in head-to-head battles against him.
3. Skelly – This one is developing nicely for Asmussen & is riding a 5-race win streak.
4. The Chosen Vron – The California-bred defeated open company in the Bing Crosby Stakes (G1).
5. Anarchist – He finally got a big win in the Pat O’Brien Stakes (G2) at Del Mar.
Sleeper: Dr. Schivel – He will improve in his next start and is still a dangerous horse in California.
1. Prince of Monaco – He is the clear leader in the division after back-to-back graded stakes victories at Del Mar, including the Futurity (G1).
2. Nutella Fella – The upset winner of the Hopeful Stakes (G1) debuts second on the list for now.
3. Timberlake – His runner-up effort in the Hopeful Stakes (G1) was a good first stakes effort.
4. West Saratoga – He surprised many by winning the Iroquois Stakes (G3).
5. Heartland – This debut winner for Bob Baffert looks to have a big future in front of him.
Sleeper: Muth – He is still a maiden; however, this horse should excel when stretching out in distance.
1. Brightwork – Three straight stakes wins including the Spinaway Stakes (G1) lands her the top spot heading into the fall.
2. Tamara – Her win in the Del Mar Debutante (G1) was tremendous.
3 V V’s Dream – She looked like a star winning the Pocahontas Stakes (G3), setting up what could be a showdown at the Breeders’ Cup.
4. Gala Brand – She beat the boys in her second career start at Saratoga in the With Anticipation Stakes (G3).
5. Ways and Means – She was a tough-luck second in the Spinaway Stakes (G1) behind our top-ranked horse but was reportedly injured after the race.
Sleeper: Laurent – She was a distant second in the Del Mar Debutante (G1) to our second-ranked horse.
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!
The Magic Mike Show guys preview the Late Pick 5… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude are ready to roll with college… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for Saturday’s $1,000,000… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys review the weekend’s biggest stakes… Read More
The Racing Dudes team hosted a roundtable discussion & fan… Read More
Aaron lists the top 5 best horse racing finishes that… Read More
Aaron recaps the recent Racing Dudes’ Best Bets, including which… Read More
Welcome to our weekly rankings of the top 5 best… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Ack Ack Stakes (G3) from Churchill… Read More
Saudi Crown won the 2023 Pennsylvania Derby (G1) at Parx… Read More
Looking to cash in big?