Check out all the latest podcasts including The Magic Mike Show and Blinkers Off
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
LOUISVILLE, KY – In a scene reminiscent of college basketball, an Indiana champion named Coach streaks into Louisville looking for a fight in Sunday’s $98,000 Rags to Riches Stakes at Churchill Downs.
The Rags to Riches is a 1 1/16-mile dirt route restricted to 2-year-old fillies. This year’s edition is the penultimate event on an 11-race card known annually as “Stars of Tomorrow I” and has a local post time of 2:36 PM.
( Content Continues Below Ad )
Here’s a look at the full field for the Rags to Riches:
1. Orsetto 8/1 – She broke her maiden at third asking last time out, taking a 7-furlong dirt dash by 7 3/4 lengths after setting the tempo from gate to wire. She was a well-beaten second behind familiar rival Coach 2 starts back in a 6-furlong sprint, but she looks like a runner who should enjoy stretching out in this two-turn route and her pedigree backs that up.
2. Malibu Bird 9/2 – The Marylou Whitney Stables homebred also broke her maiden at third asking last time out, running on the front end early and holding on gamely late to win by a nose. It came at Keeneland in her first routing attempt, looking much better than she had in a pair of 6-furlong sprints, including behind a pair whom she’ll face again here.
3. Dash to the Top 15/1 – She broke her maiden at second asking while running for a $50k tag in a 6-furlong dash at Saratoga, then stretched out to a mile at Keeneland and finished second by just a nose against optional claiming foes. She has a strong win-early pedigree; her sire, Violence, won a pair of graded stakes as a juvenile and his progeny have a 20% win rate at age 2.
4. Oliviaofthedesert 4/1 – After finishing fourth on debut in a turf mile at Ellis Park, she graduated by 5 1/2 lengths in a mile-long event over their dirt course. She returned to turf and finished third in the Mint Juvenile Fillies Stakes at Kentucky Downs behind two next-out winners, but she must rebound from a well-beaten fifth in the Alcibiades Stakes (G1) last time out.
5. Lady Traveler 5/1 – She finished third by a neck behind Salty as Can Be while making her career debut, then broke through next time out while leading from start to finish. She stretches out quite a bit after those 6-furlong sprints, but both came over this course, so at least she likes it here, and her breeding suggests that the distance should not be a problem.
6. Salty as Can Be 5/1 – She broke her maiden on debut over a pair of rivals who return to face her again here, fighting gamely in the stretch as an 11/1 longshot. The pricey ($850k) daughter of Into Mischief’s Hall of Fame trainer Mark Casse has prior experience in this race: he’s saddled three prior runners, including the 2017 runner-up Queen Mum.
7. Torsie’s Charm 20/1 – After she finished last of nine in an Ellis Park turf mile, trainer Eddie Kenneally moved her to onto the main track (a 20% winning move) and she responded with a 4 1/2-length score in a 7-furlong sprint. She weakened to fifth in a mile-long Keeneland optional claiming event after stalking the pace and must improve while running longer here.
8. Coach 3/1 – She blew her rivals (including Orsetto) off their feet in her debut, running away to win by 4 1/4 lengths in a 6-furlong sprint at Indiana Grand. She returned to romp by an even bigger margin (9 3/4 lengths) against allowance rivals in a 5 1/2-furlong dash over the same course. The 72 Beyer Speed Figure that she earned in the latter is the best in the field.
9. Midnight Ballerina 8/1 – She kicked clear in the stretch to win her debut by a length in a 6 1/2-furlong sprint over the local course, defeating a next-out winner (who earned a 61 Beyer Speed Figure in her victory). Julien Leparoux is back aboard for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott; since 2019, the two have combined for a 27% success rate at Churchill Downs.
The Magic Mike Show guys preview and give their picks… Read More
TVG’s Caleb Keller joins the Magic Mike Show guys to… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give their picks for Saturday’s… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys are joined by Aaron Halterman… Read More
Magic and Michael preview and give their picks for Saturday’s… Read More
NORTH RANDALL, OH – This Saturday’s $500,000 Ohio Derby (G3)… Read More
Welcome to the 2021 Divisional Rankings! Each week, we rank… Read More
Welcome to Free Pick 4 Tuesday. Today, we have Pick… Read More
Sunday might have been Father’s Day, but this past weekend’s… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Be the first to access our daily free and premium picks, articles, podcasts, and more!