Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
Nothing’s changed from last week as the Fantasy League is in a holding pattern until Kentucky Derby Day. However, this week marks the second claiming period, where teams can pick up new horses while dropping others. Each claim will costs 40 points, though, so the team managers are analyzing their situations carefully. Since nothing has changed, there will be no Power Rankings this week. Instead, here are the Current Standings and a list of the Top 10 Horses Available to Claim.
1. My Boy Jack – He’s currently ranked eighth on our Kentucky Derby rankings and is thought by many to be the best closer in the field. We also know that a sloppy track would be to his liking, and as we stand, the extended forecast does say that rain is a slight possibility. Trainer Keith Desormeaux won’t be shy about running this horse in all three legs of the Triple Crown as long as he stays healthy.
2. Hofburg – This horse is becoming a “wise guy” type, with several pundits raving about him. He finished second in the Grade 1 Florida Derby with very little experience, but is he ready to elevate his game to this level in a short amount of time? He is currently ranked 14th in our Kentucky Derby rankings.
3. Lone Sailor – His second-place effort in the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby earned him a shot in the Kentucky Derby, and it’s important to note that he beat My Boy Jack in that race. Still, he’s ranked 16th in our rankings, and trainer Tom Amoss has admitted that the horse is still learning as they go along. He could be valuable if the pace melts down.
4. Quip – It was just announced that he will skip the Kentucky Derby and point towards the Preakness Stakes. This could actually be a good thing, as he’ll likely have a better chance to make an impact in that race. If you claim him, you’ll have to be patient, but he could pay off in the long run.
5. Mask – There’s no doubt that this would be a big risk, but Mask could also be a big reward. He was all the rage early in the year, but an injury set him back and forced him to miss the entire Kentucky Derby Trail. However, he’s getting close to making his first start after recovering, and if he comes back looking strong, then there’s a possibility that he could run near the end of the Triple Crown. The only scary thing is that trainer Chad Brown is conservative and may opt to save him for a summer campaign.
6. Firenze Fire – The bottom half of this list leaves a lot to be desired. The good news with Firenze Fire is that he’s in the Kentucky Derby, but really, he has very little chance of making an impact in the race. He is currently ranked 18th in our rankings.
7. Blended Citizen – He’s on the outside looking in as far as the Kentucky Derby is concerned, but his connections have expressed a desire to run in the race. If he doesn’t make the Kentucky Derby, then he will probably point for the Preakness.
8. Snapper Sinclair – Right now, he sits at 21 in the Kentucky Derby rankings, but even if he doesn’t get in, his connections may point for the Preakness. His running style might suit the Preakness well, and he’s proven to be a tough horse when he gets the lead. The scary part is that they could also put him back on the turf, which would make him worthless in our league.
9. Promises Fulfilled – The Dale Romans trainee won the Grade 2 Fountain of Youth Stakes, but a speed duel cooked him up in the Florida Derby. He’ll likely be a pace presence in the race, but it’s hard to imagine him winning.
10. Diamond King – His win in the Tesio Stakes at Laurel Park earned him an automatic berth into the Preakness Stakes. He will still be a longshot in that race, but is a colt that could develop at the right time.
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for the $1.25… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys preview & give their tickets… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude take a look at the Rebel… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for the $400,000… Read More
Aaron explains why he has loved the 2024 Saudi Cup… Read More
It’s time for Horse Racing Trivia Tuesday! Magic hosts as… Read More
Each week, get the standings, power rankings, and recent transactions for… Read More
Where does Timberlake rank as a Kentucky Derby (G1) contender… Read More
Aaron previews the 2024 Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2) from… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!