1. California Chrome – Tuning up for one more prep race in the Grade 1 Awesome Again at Santa Anita.
2. Flintshire – Was an absolute monster once again in the Grade 1 Sword Dancer…his turf races are a joy to watch.
3. Frosted – Stubbed his toe in a big way in the Woodward Stakes over the weekend as he was upset by Shaman Ghost. Will regroup and try to rebound in the Breeders’ Cup Classic now.
4. Melatonin– Proved his worth for the third straight race as now I’m completely sold that he’s for real. Now has two Grade 1 victories at the classic mile and one quarter distance.
5. Dortmund – His third place effort in the Pacific Classic was not as good as his San Diego Handicap race, but he still ran very well. Lets hope he stays healthy and continues to progress.
Sleeper: Effinex– He is so up and down, but that’s what makes people forget about him. At his best he can run with anyone.
1. Tepin – Kept the streak alive in the Woodbine Mile with a big time win. Top dog in the division by a mile right now.
2. Beholder – No shame in finishing second to California Chrome in the Pacific Classic as she ran a fantastic race.
3. Stellar Wind – She takes down Beholder!! What an amazing effort by Stellar Wind in the Clement L. Hirsch Stakes. She’s come back as an extremely strong four year old.
4. Cavorting – Massive win in the Personal Ensign around two turns projects her to another level now. Still couldn’t move her past the top three in this division though.
5. Curalina – Finished a close second in the Personal Ensign and has been running solid all year long.
Sleeper: Forever Unbridled – Another solid effort in the Personal Ensign, but it wasn’t enough to crack the top five just yet.
3 Year Old Males
1. Exaggerator– Runs this weekend in the Pennsylvania Derby against Nyquist once again. It’s a great rivalry these two have built.
2. Nyquist – Looks to get revenge on Exaggerator and perhaps move back to number one in the division with a win at Parx in the Pennsylvania Derby this weekend.
3. Arrogate– There is absolutely no doubt he his head and shoulders above anyone in this division, but one race doesn’t make a career. His Travers Stakes effort was beyond belief, and if he can run that type of race again he will win the Breeders Cup Classic and will be at the top in this division.
4. Creator– He stays ranked because of two grade one wins in the Arkansas Derby and Belmont Stakes. His summer at Saratoga was a disaster though, and he’s now done for 2016
5. American Freedom– Feel sorry for this horse as he’s ran two races in a row in grade one’s that were too good for him to lose yet he finished second in both of them. Really like him going forward.
Sleeper: Gun Runner– Will give it another swing in the Pennsylvania Derby this weekend.
3 Year Old Females
1. Songbird– Puts her unbeaten streak on the line against the best field she’s ever faced on Saturday in the Grade 1 Cotillion
2. Catch a Glimpse – Her win streak was busted in the Grade 2 Lake Placid Stakes on Sunday at Saratoga, but she’s done enough to stay at number two.
3. Cathryn Sophia – It’s the match up we all want to see this weekend when Cathryn Sophia goes up against Songbird in the Grade 1 Cotillion
4. Carina Mia – Gives Songbird another shot in the Grade 1 Cotillion this weekend.
5. Off The Tracks – Needs a freshening and she will rebound.
Sleeper: Going for Broke – Ran an ok race in the Alabama Stakes to finish second to Songbird. Never threatened though.
1. Lord Nelson – Another massive performance in the Grade 1 Bing Crosby, and this time at 6 furlongs. Definitely the top dog in the division now.
2. A. P. Indian – Another massive effort as he easily won the Grade 1 Forego Stakes. Almost moved him to number one.
3. X Y Jet – Was running better than anyone before the injury. Hope he comes back 100% when he returns.
4. Kobe’s Back– No way I’m going to penalize him for his Triple Bend Stakes effort because the ride was poor. He’ll be fine.
5. Masochistic – Very solid effort even though it was only a three horse field in the Grade 2 Pat O’Brien.
Sleeper: Runhappy – The pink elephant in the room is back…Runhappy is working out strongly, and pointing towards a comeback in October.
2 Year Old Males
1. Klimt – Won both the Del Mar Futurity and Best Pal Stakes just like Nyquist did last year. Top contender heading into Breeders’ Cup season.
2. Not This Time – Extremely impressive performance in the Iroquois Stakes for this well bred colt. Maybe he can put an end to the west coast domination this year.
3. Straight Fire – Backed up that really fast maiden win with a nice second place effort in the Del Mar Futurity.
4. Big Gray Rocket – Only a maiden winner but his potential could be endless. Most exciting prospect I’ve seen this year on the dirt.
5. Practical Joke – Very impressive winning of the Hopeful Stakes as he’s now a perfect two for two for Chad Brown.
Sleeper: Good Samaritan – Rankings at this time of year are geared towards the dirt males, however Good Samaritan made the biggest impression yet on me when winning the Summer Stakes at Woodbine. He could rise up the rankings quickly.
2 Year Old Females
1. Sweet Loretta – Winner of the Schuylerville and Spinaway Stakes so far makes her the leader in the clubhouse, but it’s wide open.
2. Union Strike – Got revenge on American Cleopatra while also becoming a Grade 1 winner in the Del Mar Debutante.
3. American Cleopatra – Solid second start of her career with a second in the Del Mar Debutante as Union Strike turned the tables on her.
4. Pretty City Dancer – Targeted the Spinaway Stakes from day one and was able to dead heat with Sweet Loretta.
5. Champagne Room – Third place effort in the Del Mar Debutante was solid after winning the Sorrento Stakes.
Sleeper: Nonna Mela – Winner of the Adirondack Stakes has been forgotten about as of now.