Welcome to the 2020 Divisional Rankings! Each week, we rank the best thoroughbred horses in America based on their divisions. Let’s take a look at the rankings, including my last vote in the NTRA Top 10 Poll:
Here are my overall rankings as seen in the latest NTRA Top 10 Poll this week. The poll ranks the top thoroughbred horses based on if Horse of the Year voting was conducted at this very moment. Here’s what my latest Top 10 poll looked like:
- Tiz the Law
- Maximum Security
- Tom’s d’Etat
- Zulu Alpha
- Rushing Fall
- Midnight Bisou
1. Maximum Security – He picked up another solid win in the Pacific Classic (G1) to remain undefeated this season.
2. Tom’s d’Etat – A terrible stumble from the gate cost him all chance in the Whitney Stakes (G1).
3. Zulu Alpha – After a brief freshening, he came back as strong as ever with an impressive victory in the Elkhorn Stakes (G2).
5. Mucho Gusto – The Pegasus World Cup (G1) was his best career race by a wide margin.
Sleeper: By My Standards – He might be just a small cut below the best after another runner-up effort behind a higher-ranked foe.
1. Rushing Fall – Give me this turf rocket over them all. She was sensational once again in the Diana Stakes (G1).
2. Midnight Bisou – She gets a pass for now, but her Personal Ensign Stakes (G1) effort was not great.
3. Monomoy Girl – She is now 2-for-2 on the comeback trail after easily taking home the Ruffian Stakes (G2).
4. Fighting Mad – She must be taken seriously after winning the Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (G1).
5. Dunbar Road – She’s looked sharp in both 2020 starts, including the Delaware Handicap (G2) last time out.
Sleeper: Vexatious – A big upset win over Midnight Bisou in the Personal Ensign Stakes (G1) put her on our radar.
1. Tiz the Law – He’s the undisputed champion after a breathtaking victory in the Travers Stakes (G1).
2. Art Collector – He’s developed into the number-one upset contender after another impressive score in the Ellis Park Derby.
3. Honor A. P. – We’ll give him a pass for his Shared Belief Stakes loss because it was likely too short for him.
Sleeper: Thousand Words – He could be coming on at the right time to make a big splash in the Kentucky Derby (G1).
1. Gamine – She was sensational once again with a total romp in the Test Stakes (G1).
3. Speech – She showed up with a career-best performance to win the Ashland Stakes (G1).
4. Shedaresthedevil – This ultra-consistent filly destroyed her competition in the Indiana Oaks (G3).
5. Paris Lights – She fought hard to win the Coaching Club American Oaks (G1).
Sleeper: Bonny South – This filly could make an impact in some of the smaller races left on the calendar.
1. Vekoma – He earned the top spot with a monster effort in the Met Mile (G1) over a tremendous field.
2. Volatile – He looked like a beast in the Vanderbilt Handicap (G1), defeating tough horses in gate-to-wire fashion.
4. Whitmore – We’ll give him a pass for a poor effort in the Forego Stakes (G1), which was held under a downpour.
5. McKinzie – His total dud in the Met Mile (G1) was unexpected, but he reportedly lost both right-side shoes, so we’ll give him a slight pass.
Sleeper: New York Central – His Saudi Cup Sprint victory was very impressive.