Welcome to the 2020 Divisional Rankings! Each week, we rank the best thoroughbred horses in America based on their divisions. Let’s take a look at the rankings, including my last vote in the NTRA Top 10 Poll:
Here are my overall rankings as seen in the latest NTRA Top 10 Poll this week. The poll ranks the top thoroughbred horses based on if Horse of the Year voting was conducted at this very moment. With the year now almost half over, we’ve started to get a good feel for the top horses in the country. Here’s what my latest Top 10 poll looked like:
- Midnight Bisou
- Maximum Security
- Mucho Gusto
- Zulu Alpha
- Code of Honor
- Tom’s d’Etat
- By My Standards
1. Maximum Security – His Saudi Cup (G1) win lands him at the top, despite the drama with his former trainer.
2. Mucho Gusto – The Pegasus World Cup (G1) was his best career race by a wide margin.
3. Zulu Alpha – He was on fire at Gulfstream Park in the winter, where he won the Pegasus World Cup Turf (G1).
4. Code of Honor – A nice win in the Westchester Stakes (G3) was a great way to kick off his 2020 campaign.
5. Tom’s d’Etat – An impressive 2020 debut win in the Oaklawn Mile Stakes has him looking great heading into the summer.
Sleeper: By My Standards – He’s now 2-for-2 this year after an impressive victory in the Oaklawn Handicap (G2).
1. Midnight Bisou – She finds herself on top of this division again after a runner-up effort against males in the Saudi Cup (G1).
2. Monomoy Girl – She’s back and looking as good as ever after defeating allowance company at Churchill Downs in her first race in 18 months.
4. Dunbar Road – She looked sharp in her 2020 debut, winning the Shawnee Stakes at Churchill Downs.
5. She’s a Julie – A big win in the Ogden Phipps Stakes (G1) gets her back into the conversation in this loaded division.
Sleeper: Point of Honor – When she finally runs in longer races, she will be tough to hold off down the stretch.
1. Tiz the Law – His Gulfstream Park dominance was capped off with a win in the Florida Derby (G1).
2. Honor A. P. – An impressive Santa Anita Derby (G1) triumph has him poised to take over the top spot.
3. Authentic – A strong runner-up effort in the Santa Anita Derby (G1) still has in the mix.
4. Sole Volante – An impressive allowance win at Gulfstream Park has him primed for a shot in the Belmont Stakes (G1).
Sleeper: Cezanne – Due to the war of attrition, he might be trainer Bob Baffert’s best chance at winning the Kentucky Derby after looking very strong in his debut maiden victory on June 6.
1. Swiss Skydiver – She added the Santa Anita Oaks (G2) to her already-impressive resume.
2. Tonalist’s Shape – She has only one flaw on her resume after reeling off win after win at Gulfstream Park.
3. Venetian Harbor – She was second in the Fantasy Stakes (G2) while putting forth a solid effort.
4. Finite – Her five-race winning streak was snapped last time out in the Fair Grounds Oaks (G2).
5. Donna Veloce – She looked great in her 2020 debut, but she will miss some time after a minor injury.
Sleeper: Bonny South – Her upset Fair Grounds Oaks (G2) victory was a really solid showing.
1. Volatile – This may be the next superstar sprinter for Asmussen after his ultra-impressive win in the Aristides Stakes (G3).
2. Vekoma – His Carter Handicap (G1) victory was about as impressive as it gets.
3. Whitmore – He earned his spot in the rankings after an impressive Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (G3) victory at Oaklawn Park.
4. McKinzie – There is no doubt he is best when running 7-furlongs, which was put on display in the Triple Bend Stakes (G2).
5. New York Central – His Saudi Cup Sprint victory was very impressive.
Sleeper: Shancelot – It will be interesting to see if he can still be effective under new trainer Steve Asmussen.