1. Wise Dan – All the big races are now over, and for the second year in a row Wise Dan looks like he’ll be Horse of the Year.
2. Mucho Macho Man – The Classic winner will have a shot at Older Male of the Year, but didn’t quite do enough to win Horse of the Year.
3. Game On Dude – Ran pretty well in the Clark…will look for another big year in 2014.
4. Cross Traffic – It’s too bad he got injured as I think he was on his way to huge things.
5. Fort Larned – What a strange year for the 2012 Classic winner. Still ran well in this years version.
Sleeper: Declaration of War – He’s plenty good, but will we see him back in America once again?
1. Royal Delta – She wins this by default, but the champ is probably done. The division was a bit weak this year, but the infusion of good three-year olds will boost it next year.
2. Tiz Miz Sue – Absolutely sickening that she had to be retired. Was running better than ever.
3. Authenticity – Solid run in the Distaff, but never really threatened to win.
4. Joyful Victory – Never was quite good enough to beat the top-notch horses, but still a solid horse.
5. On Fire Baby – Still have hopes that she’ll come back firing
Sleeper: My Miss Aurelia – Has been transferred to Todd Pletcher. Interesting move, will it pay off?
3 Year Old Males
1. Will Take Charge – No doubt about it now! Will Take Charge is your Three Year Old Horse of the Year.
2. Palace Malice – He sort of fell off towards the end of this season, but still was respectable. Could be a nice colt at age four.
3. Orb – Never could recapture his Kentucky Derby form.
4. Oxbow – The injury knocked him down a little, but he had a great first half of the year.
5. Goldencents – Bounced all the way back to California in the Cigar Mile. Still a nice prospect.
Sleeper: Normandy Invasion – Lets see if this colt comes back running at age 4…
3 Year Old Females
1. Beholder – She won the Distaff which evened the score with Princess of Sylmar
2. Princess of Sylmar – Absolutely hate ranking her second, but I think you have to do so.
3. Close Hatches – Her late season heroics are enough to move her up the third.
4. Midnight Lucky – Unfortunately she will miss the rest of the year, which will cause her to drop some.
5. Fiftyshadesofhay – Respectable horse, but a cut below this groups best.
Sleeper: Dreaming of Julia – What ever happened to her??
1. Secret Circle – Super impressive in his huge comeback! Tops a weak division.
2. Groupie Doll – Pretty nice effort in the Cigar Mile even though she finished fourth. Would have ranked first if she had one.
3. Justin Phillip – Was nothing but solid this year. The old pro retires with nothing to be ashamed about.
4. Points Offthebench – Such a sad story, but he was so good this year.
5. Gentleman’s Bet – Ran hard in every race, and always finished respectable.
Sleeper: Sahara Sky – Looked to be a monster before the injury.
2 Year Old Males
1. New Year’s Day – I wasn’t blown away by anyone over the weekend, so I think New Year’s Day has the top spot for now.
2. Havana – Thought he was best in the Juvenile.
3. Honor Code – With the terribly slow pace it was hard to tell much from the Remsen. Did enough to warrant respect, but not the top spot.
4. Strong Mandate – Tough post killed him in the Juvenile. Will freshen up for a big three-year old campaign at Oaklawn.
5. Cairo Prince – Definitely thought he had the Remsen won, but was out-gamed by Honor Code.
Sleeper: Gold Hawk – Was really impressed with this one’s debut! Could be an up and coming star.
2 Year Old Females
1. She’s A Tiger – Think she’s distance challenged, but has accomplished a lot.
2. Sweet Reason – Always seems to have an excuse, but has been right there in every race.
3. Ria Antonia – Not sold on her yet, needed a DQ to win the Juvenile fillies.
4. Rosalind – Thought she was best in the Juvenile Fillies…
5. Stopchargingmaria – Wins yet again! Even though nobody has been overly impressed by her, wins are all that matters.
Sleeper: Unbridled Forever – I’ll buy the hype for now…