Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
Welcome to the 2019 Divisional Rankings! Each week, we will rank the best thoroughbred horses in America based on their divisions. Let’s take a look at the rankings, including my last vote in the NTRA Top 10 Poll:
Here are my overall rankings as seen in the last NTRA Top 10 Poll of the season. The poll ranks the top thoroughbred horses based on if Horse of the Year voting was conducted at this very moment. With the year now more than half over, we’ve started to get a good feel for the top horses in the country. Here’s what my last Top 10 poll looked like:
1. Bricks and Mortar
3. Vino Rosso
4. Midnight Bisou
8. Blue Prize
10. Maximum Security
1. Bricks and Mortar – He wrapped up Horse of the Year with a win in the Longines Breeders’ Cup Turf (G1).
2. Vino Rosso – It’s a shame he’ll retire after running the best race of his life in the Longines Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1).
3. McKinzie – This was the most consistent horse all year long; however, he finished second too many times in big spots.
4. City of Light – His Pegasus World Cup (G1) win ended up being one of the best races that we saw all season long.
5. Higher Power – Finishing third in the Classic backs up his solid Pacific Classic (G1) performance earlier in. the year.
Sleeper: Tom’s d’Etat – He will be tough in the Clark Handicap (G1) on Thanksgiving weekend.
1. Midnight Bisou – Even though she finished second in the Longines Breeders’ Cup Distaff (G1), she still is number one in this division by a mile.
2. Uni – An amazing victory in the TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile (G1) capped off an awesome season for her.
3. Sistercharlie – She came up empty in the Maker’s Mark Filly and Mare Turf (G1); however, she still had a tremendous season.
4. Blue Prize – Her win in the Distaff was an ultra-impressive performance.
5. Got Stormy – She ran well in defeat, finishing second to Uni in the TVG Mile.
Sleeper: Elate – Her Classic performance wasn’t terrible; however, she was never close to making an impact.
1. Maximum Security – This wild road continues as Maximum Security takes over the lead again. He can lock up the division with a win in the Cigar Mile (G1).
2. Code of Honor – On on the board finish in the Classic would have locked this division up for him but that didn’t happen.
3. Omaha Beach – He couldn’t get the job done in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (G1).
4. Tacitus – Another on-the-board finish for him in the Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1) added to his consistent resume. He is done for the year but is expected to return in 2020.
5. Spun to Run – His win in the Dirt Mile was fantastic, which makes him an interesting prospect next season.
Sleeper: War of Will – The Preakness Stakes (G1) never could do much after that victory.
1. Covfefe – Even a tough draw couldn’t stop her in the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint (G1). She’s earned this spot with several big wins.
2. Dunbar Road – When facing older horses she did not run well; however, she dominated her own age group for most of the year.
3. Guarana – She suffered her first defeat in the Cotillion Stakes (G1), though she still finished a solid second. Unfortunately, she will not run at the Breeders’ Cup.
4. Serengeti Empress – She tried to take them wire to wire in the Distaff but couldn’t quite hold on for the win.
5. Street Band – It was a non-effort for her in the Distaff; however, she had a nice season regardless of that outcome.
Sleeper: Point of Honor – The Alabama Stakes (G1) did not go her way; however, she deserves credit for finishing second in both that race and the Coaching Club American Oaks (G1).
1. Mitole – The beast left no doubt with a powerful win in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1).
2. Imperial Hint – He showed he was all heart in a heart-stopping win in the Vosburgh Stakes (G1).
3. World of Trouble – The stellar World of Trouble rolled again at Belmont Park in the Jaipur Invitational Stakes (G1).
4. X Y Jet – He finally got his Golden Shaheen (G1) victory in Dubai after coming so close in previous years. He recently returned to training with an eye on a late 2019 campaign.
5. Cistron – He may be a cut below the best horses in this division, but his Bing Crosby Stakes (G1) win was nice.
Sleeper: Shancelot – This horse could be an absolute monster next season.
1. Independence Hall – In a shocking development, the best looking 3-year-old came out of the Nashua Stakes (G3) and not the Breeders’ Cup.
2. Dennis’ Moment – We’ll give him a pass after stumbling badly out of the gate in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (G1).
3. Storm the Court – A huge upset in the Juvenile gives this horse a lot of hype moving forward.
4. Maxfield – His performance in the Breeders’ Futurity Stakes (G1) might be the best that we’ve seen all year from this division.
5. Tiz the Law – He’ll point to the end-of-year Remsen Stakes (G2) after a fantastic win in the Champagne Stakes (G1).
Sleeper: Eight Rings – He had no excuse in the Juvenile; however, we know he is better than that effort.
1. British Idiom – She locked up this division with a win in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1).
2. Donna Veloce – Her lack of experience probably got her beat in the Breeders’ Cup. She’s still one to watch heading into next year.
3. Bast – It looks like she could have peaked a little early after a so-so third in the Juvenile Fillies.
4. Perfect Alibi – She has been consistent all year long, while picking up two graded stakes victories.
5. Wicked Whisper – The Juvenile Fillies was a disappointment; however, she should bounce back for a solid 2020.
Sleeper: Leucothea – At her best, this is a filly that can beat nearly anyone.
The Racing Dudes preview four 2023 Kentucky Derby (G1) prep… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys preview & give their tickets… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude give their thoughts on the Sweet… Read More
The Racing Dudes take a closer look and dish out… Read More
Aaron previews the 2023 Louisiana Derby (G2) from Fair Grounds,… Read More
Vinny from Real Dynasty Picks previews the 2023 Jeff Ruby… Read More
Let’s get another big Friday of racing kicked off today!… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!