Check out all the latest podcasts including Blinkers Off and The Magic Mike Show
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Breeze Easy’s Roderick returns for his 2021 debut with big plans for the year ahead, starting in Saturday’s $75,000 Hutcheson Stakes at Gulfstream Park.
The Hutcheson is a 6-furlong dirt sprint restricted to 3-year-olds. This year’s edition is the ninth event on a 12-race card and has a local post time of 4:14 PM.
Here’s a look at the full field for the Hutcheson:
1. Warrior’s Pride 5/1 – He gives stakes company a second try after setting the pace and fading to fifth in the Limehouse Stakes over this course and distance on January 2. He broke his maiden going 5 1/2 furlongs at Gulfstream Park West and found repeat success against optional claimers here in early December. Expect him to gun hard from the rail.
2. Worlds on High 6/1 – He broke his maiden on debut over this course and distance last September while risked for a $50k tag, then finished second and third in 2 subsequent 6-furlong dirt sprints against optional claimers. The first of two from trainer Saffie Joseph Jr. was 1 length behind stablemate and returning rival Lauda Speed last time out.
3. Willy Boi 8/1 – He won 2 straight over this course and distance against Florida-breds to start his career, then set the pace before fading to to eighth in the 1 1/16-mile Holy Bull Stakes (G3) last time out. He should appreciate cutting back to a familiar distance and has the necessary tactical speed to sit behind what could become a hotly-contested pace.
4. Roderick 2/1 – He was a sharp 8 1/4-length debut winner for trainer Wesley Ward, who’s known for having his horses ready to run lights-out early. He struggled mightily in his next 3 starts, all stakes, before dropping down to the allowance ranks and dusting a 5-furlong Churchill Downs field by 3 3/4 lengths despite being geared down late.
“He’s always had a world of talent,” Ward said. “He kind of was going through the learning curve after his maiden win there. We got him back, we gave him a good amount of time to get him mentally right, and he ran a really nice race his last race of the year at Churchill.”
5. Lauda Speed 5/1 – He beat his stablemate Worlds On High and five other optional claimers over this course and distance last time out while having to grind out a bumpy trip between rivals. He seems to have found a home sprinting on dirt after his connections tried putting him on turf in 3 of his past 4 starts, including running fourth in the Dania Beach Stakes.
6. Real Talk 7/2 – He steps up to face open company stakes rivals after beating first-level Florida-bred allowance rivals by 3 3/4 lengths while going 5 1/2 furlongs here last month. He broke his maiden on debut against his own kind while going 6 1/2 furlongs over this course, so the distance should be well within his wheelhouse.
7. Ultimate Badger 8/1 – He takes a much-needed class drop and cuts back in distance after facing several tough horses in longer, higher-level stakes. He broke his maiden on debut by 4 1/4 lengths going 5 furlongs in the Ellis Park mud and stretched out to win a 1 1/16-mile optional claiming route at Churchill Downs.
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for the $1.25… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys preview & give their tickets… Read More
Aaron and Papa Dude take a look at the Rebel… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give picks for the $400,000… Read More
Each week, get the standings, power rankings, and recent transactions for… Read More
Where does Timberlake rank as a Kentucky Derby (G1) contender… Read More
Aaron previews the 2024 Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2) from… Read More
Aaron previews the 2024 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes from Turfway… Read More
George Krikorian’s homebred Just F Y I, the undefeated champion… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Sign up for exclusive 10% discount on orders, plus be the first to access our daily free and premium horse racing picks, articles, podcasts, and more!