The 2014 Gold Cup will be the premier race of the Cheltenham Festival. Every March the race is a spectacle for all to see, and it always provides bettors with several well priced horses to choose from. Last year Bobs Worth was the winner of the Gold Cup, and will be looking to repeat as he comes back to run in it again this year. Last year’s runner up, Sir Des Champs, is also targeting the race. He will be another solid contender, and most likely the second betting choice.
The Gold Cup is run over three miles and two furlongs on the Cheltenham Racecourse. In past years Paul Nicholls has been the man to beat, but two of his major horses are now gone. As of right now the betting favorite is defending champion Bobs Worth. Several horses are above 10-1 at the moment that are capable of winning, including First Lieutenant, Dynaste, Al Ferof, and Boston Bob. Even though Bobs Worth is the defending champion, he can still be had at price of 3-1 at most European book makers, which is probably fair value.
If you are looking to bet The 2014 Gold Cup here are a few things to think about:
– The favorite has won this race five out of the last eleven years.
– One of the top three betting favorites have won the race nine out of the last ten years.
– Out of the last ten years, the biggest price winner was 8-1
– Twelve of the last thirteen winners had all won a race during the season prior to the Gold Cup
– Fourteen winners in a row have been Grade 1 winners prior to winning the Gold Cup.
– No horse older than ten has won the Gold Cup since 1969
If you get the chance, be sure to check out this great display of racing. If you want to get more in depth with your handicapping of the chasers you can check out some of the Gold Cup trial races. Those races include: The Betfair Chase, The Charlie Hall Chase, The Hennessy Gold Cup, The King George Chase, The Lexus Chase, The Argento Chase, The Irish Hennessy Gold Cup, and The Betfair Denman Chase. Good luck to every one as they begin to handicap for the great race!