Check out all the latest podcasts including The Magic Mike Show and Blinkers Off
Check out all the big upcoming stakes races
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY – Trainer Todd Pletcher’s Moretti makes the next start in his newfound career as a marathoner in Sunday’s $100,000 Birdstone Stakes at Saratoga.
The Birdstone is a 1 3/4-mile dirt route that will make the field of seven turn left three times before hitting the wire. This year’s edition is slated as the penultimate event on a 10-race card.
( Content Continues Below Ad )
Here is a look at the full field for the Birdstone:
1. Standard Deviation 4/1 – After failing to take hold on dirt as a 3-year-old, he switched to the turf and immediately succeeded, winning a minor stakes in his first roll over the lawn. Though he hasn’t won in nearly a year, he’s in good hands with trainer Graham Motion, who adds blinkers (a 22% winning move) as he switches from turf to dirt (28%).
2. You’re to Blame 12/1 – He was a game victor in the 2018 Greenwood Cup (G3) in his first marathon distance attempt, and all told, he has a record of 6-1-3-0 when running at least 1 1/4 miles. He was a well-beaten fifth last time out in the 1 3/8-mile Flat Out Stakes, but that can be forgiven considering that was over a sloppy course, so expect a better effort if he catches a fast, clean main track.
3. Expert 5/1 – His first marathon attempt saw him finish third in the Flat Out, his most recent effort. The Dominick Schettino trainee appears to have suffered no ill effects as a result of running long; he fired a bullet best-of-seven 5-furlong move in 1:00.60 over the Belmont Park training track in his second timed workout after the race.
4. Rocketry 7/2 – In the summer and fall of 2018, he was considered the nation’s best dirt marathoner due to his wins in the 1 5/8-mile Temperence Hill Invitational (where he broke the course record) and the 1 3/4-mile Breeders’ Cup Marathon (G2). He hasn’t won again in 7 starts since, but he should at least be fresh as he makes his second start of the year following a fourth in mid-June’s Flat Out.
5. American Tattoo 8/1 – He was a close third in the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Marathon (G2) and followed that by winning an off-turf edition of the 1 1/4-mile H. Allen Jerkens Stakes at Gulfstream Park. His most recent 2 efforts left a lot to be desired, but he makes his first start since March and for new trainer Jack Sisterson, who might be able to reignite something in a horse who won a 2018 Group 1 event in his native Argentina.
6. Moretti 8/5 – The morning line favorite has shown significant improvement as a 4-year-old after the $900k purchase was largely disappointing earlier in his career. He romped in the Flat Out, winning by 5 1/4 lengths, and was a solid second in the 1 1/4-mile Suburban Stakes (G2) last time out behind Tacitus, one of the top older dirt males in training.
7. Highland Sky 8/1 – Though 26 of his 28 prior starts came on turf, he was a dominating 8 1/4-length victor in last year’s off-turf running of the 1 1/4-mile John’s Call Stakes over the local main track. He’s cross-entered in Saturday’s Bowling Green Stakes (G2), a 1 3/8-mile local inner turf event, so where he runs will depend on trainer Barclay Tagg’s confidence level.
The Magic Mike Show guys preview and give their picks… Read More
TVG’s Caleb Keller joins the Magic Mike Show guys to… Read More
The Racing Dudes preview and give their picks for Saturday’s… Read More
The Magic Mike Show guys are joined by Aaron Halterman… Read More
Magic and Michael preview and give their picks for Saturday’s… Read More
NORTH RANDALL, OH – This Saturday’s $500,000 Ohio Derby (G3)… Read More
Welcome to the 2021 Divisional Rankings! Each week, we rank… Read More
Welcome to Free Pick 4 Tuesday. Today, we have Pick… Read More
Sunday might have been Father’s Day, but this past weekend’s… Read More
Looking to cash in big?
Be the first to access our daily free and premium picks, articles, podcasts, and more!