Could this be a Super Bowl preview? It just might be as the 9-1 Kansas City Chiefs travel to Tampa Bay to face Tom Brady and the 7-4 Buccaneers. The Chiefs have had a couple of close calls in recent weeks but have prevailed while the Bucs are coming off a tough loss on Monday night to the Rams. These two teams last met in 2016 when the Bucs won as underdogs 19-17. The Chiefs are favored here by 3 points. Can the Bucs pull off the upset again?
Chiefs win 5th straightThe Kansas City Chiefs have won five straight games to improve to 9-1. But the last couple of weeks have been struggles. Three weeks ago they survived a scare from the Carolina Panthers, prevailing 33-31 and then last week, after a bye, they came from behind to beat the Raiders 35-31. The Raiders took a 31-28 lead with under two minutes left when Derek Carr hit Jason Witten with a touchdown pass. But Patrick Mahomes led the Chiefs down the field in the final minute to win it with a 22 yard touchdown strike to Travis Kelce.
Mahomes heated up in the second half after a slow first half. He wound up 34 for 45 for 348 yards with 2 touchdowns and an interception. Travis Kelce had 8 catches for 127 yards and a touchdown while Tyreek Hill had 11 catches for 102 yards and a touchdown. Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed for 69 yards and 2 touchdowns while LeVeon Bell had 25 yards rushing and a touchdown. The Chiefs outgained the Raiders with 460 total yards to 364 for Vegas and they had 36 first downs to 25 for Vegas.
Bucs fall flat against RamsThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers were thoroughly outplayed on Monday night at home against the Los Angeles Rams. Yet, they kept the game close and had a chance in the final minutes to tie or win it. But a Tom Brady interception, his second of the game, sealed the 27-24 win for the Rams. The Bucs only put up 251 total yards compared to 413 for the Rams. Brady had a subpar game, going 26 for 48 for 216 yards with 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. He had a quarterback rating of 62.
Brady usually doesn't have two bad games in a row, so look for him to come out firing on all cylinders this week. Yet, he doesn't always face two good teams in a row. The Chiefs defense is 8th best against the pass and 7th best in points allowed. The Bucs weren't able to mount much of a run game either as Ronald Jones only had 24 yards on the ground while Leonard Fournette had 17 yards rushing.
Stats & Trends
- Chiefs are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Chiefs are 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games after allowing more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Chiefs are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games after accumulating more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Chiefs are 6-1-1 ATS in their last 8 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Chiefs are 10-2 ATS in their last 12 games after accumulating more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Chiefs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS loss.
- Chiefs are 9-2 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Buccaneers are 16-36-1 ATS in their last 53 games after allowing more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.
- Buccaneers are 2-6-1 ATS in their last 9 games as an underdog.
- Buccaneers are 3-9-1 ATS in their last 13 games in November.
- Buccaneers are 6-19-2 ATS in their last 27 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Buccaneers are 2-7-1 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
- Buccaneers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 90 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Buccaneers are 2-9-2 ATS in their last 13 home games.
Take the Chiefs here giving up the points. Brady usually doesn't have two bad games in a row, but he usually doesn't face two of the best teams in the NFL in back-to-back weeks. Plus, the Bucs are playing on a short week, having played Monday night. The Bucs are great against the run and will likely slow down Edwards-Helaire and Bell, but the Chiefs can beat you in many different ways. In fact, they have the best player in the league on their side, Mahomes, who always finds a way to win. The Chiefs have done just that all year, find a way to win, and they'll do so here, handing the Bucs there second straight loss. This game will go down to the final minutes, but I like Mahomes and Chiefs to cover.