ARCADIA, Calif. (April 6, 2016)—Grade I winner What a View will seek his fourth win in-a-row Saturday when he runs for $100,000 in the Grade III Thunder Road Stakes at one mile on turf for older horses. Texas Red, winner of the 2014 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile will be make his first start of 2016 for trainer Keith Desormeaux and his first-ever on grass.
WHAT A VIEW – Trained by Kenny Black and owned by Finish Line Racing, LLC, The Ellwood Johnston Trust, Berumen, P. and Berumen, S., What a View comes off an impressive 3 ¾ length score in the Grade I, one mile Frank E. Kilroe March 12. A winner of his last three outings since Opening Day of the Winter Meeting on Dec. 26, including a 1 1/8 mile turf allowance, the Cal Cup Turf Classic Jan. 30 and the Kilroe, the 5-year-old bay gelding by Vronsky will be seeking his fourth win of the meet. What a View will retain the services of Kent Desormeaux Saturday and will break from the far outside in post position 12. He is 11-5-2-0 overall with $532,148 in earnings.
TEXAS RED – Trained by Keith Desormeaux, the 4-year-old colt by Afleet Alex who was once on the Kentucky Derby trail in 2015, returned to the work tab at Santa Anita in early February following time off from a bone bruise late last year. Fifth in his last out to Triple Crown Champion American Pharoah in the Grade I Travers in New York on Aug. 29, Texas Red will try turf for the first time Saturday. Owned by Brehm, Detmar, Michaels, Desormeaux and partners, Texas red will be ridden for the first time in eight starts by Joe Talamo instead of Kent Desormeaux who opted to stay with What a View. He is 9-3-3-1 overall with $1,767,300 in earnings.
THE THUNDER ROAD STAKES IN POST POSITION ORDER WITH JOCKEYS & WEIGHTS
Race 9 (of 12) Approximate post time, 4:05 p.m. PDT
- Poshsky – Tiago Pereira – 124
- McHeat – Stewart Elliot – 120
- Si Sage – Mario Gutierrez – 122
- Cool Green – Abel Lezcano – 124
- Papacoolpapacool – Mike Smith – 120
- Decisive Edge – Brice Blanc – 120
- Twentytwentyvision – Flavien Prat – 120
- Texas Red – Joe Talamo – 122
- Finnegans Wake – Victor Espinoza – 122
- De Treville – Fernando Perez – 120
- Soul Driver – Tyler Baze – 120
- What a View – Kent Desormeaux – 124
- Play Hard to Get – Alonso Quinonez – 120
- Ohio – Gary Stevens – 120
Source: Santa Anita Park