1. California Chrome – Has started back with some light training at Los Alamitos as he gears up for a big second half of the year. Frosted’s monster win flatters California Chrome quite a bit.
2. Frosted – Gave us one on the greatest efforts we’ve seen in the last ten years as he crushed his competition in the Met Mile. Will become the best horse in this division if he keeps that up.
3. Flintshire – Told myself I wouldn’t move him up too much just yet, but he’s simply better than those ranked below him right now.
4. Mshawish– Was pointing for the Met Mile, but unfortunately has been retired. Will surely get passed in the rankings now.
5. Effinex – Was almost too bad to believe last weekend in the Stephen Foster. The talent is there, but the bottom line is he’s now 1 for 3 this year.
Sleeper: Bradester – Was mainly a Monmouth Park beast, but took his show on the road with a wire to wire win in the Stephen Foster.
1. Tepin – FREAK OF NATURE!!! WOW what a win at Royal Ascot! Would get my vote for Horse of the Year if the award was given today…and its not close!
2. Beholder – Another absolutely crushing performance in the Vanity Mile for this freak. She might be the best horse in the world…and is ranked second in this division as of now.
3. Cavorting – Impressive win in the Ogden Phipps over several of her rivals that were ranked ahead of her last week. Running better than ever.
4. Forever Unbridled – Ran second in the Ogden Phipps after two solid wins to kick off her year. Have to start giving her some respect now.
5. Stellar Wind – Very strong return for her in the Vanity Mile, but she was no match for Beholder.
Sleeper: I’m A Chatterbox – Ran at Delaware Park and hardly anyone noticed, but she looked very good and ready for bigger competition next.
3 Year Old Males
1. Nyquist – Exits the Triple Crown races as the number one ranked horse, and it’s probably by a decent margin. We’ll see if he can get back to his winning ways once again after suffering his first loss in the Preakness Stakes.
2. Exaggerator – Perhaps the Triple Crown grind got to him as he was a no-show in the Belmont Stakes. Still has a big chance to become the top horse in this division if he can have a big summer.
3. Creator– Brutal trip in the Kentucky Derby was avenged by a fantastic ride in the Belmont Stakes by Irad Ortiz Jr. as he guided Creator to victory. Much like the top two in the division he probably controls his own destiny as far as winning three year old horse of the year goes.
4. Gun Runner – Ran perhaps his best race yet at Churchill Downs to win the Matt Winn Stakes. He gives Asmussen a nice 1-2 punch as him and Creator are loaded for big summer campaigns.
5. Mohaymen – Was nice to see him rebound off of his poor Florida Derby effort, and prove he’s still a decent horse.
Sleeper: Destin – It wouldn’t surprise anyone if he pulled off an upset at some point this year. He’s ran admirable in all his races this year.
3 Year Old Females
1. Songbird – The FREAK is back and she looks just as good as ever! Heading east now to take on Cathryn Sophia and Carina Mia.
2. Cathryn Sophia – Her Kentucky Oaks win keeps her ranked second even after a poor showing in the Acorn Stakes. Will have to rebound or will get passed by some up and comers in this division.
3. Carina Mia – An awesome performance places her in the third spot, and she’ll easily move to number two if she keeps running like how her recent form indicates.
4. Catch a Glimpse – She’s simply awesome as she beat the boys in the Penn Mile. Just won’t let horses pass her on the turf…I’d like to rank her higher than this, but the two in front of her are too good.
5. Go Maggie Go – Perhaps she was due to bounce a little bit off two back to back big efforts. Will give her a pass for now.
Sleeper: Lewis Bay – Solid horse brings it every time, and could be back in the races this summer.
1. Runhappy – Seriously doubt he’ll run this year and will move him down once I see some standout performances by others in this division.
2. Private Zone – The joke of the year so far is that he couldn’t run in the True North. Would have moved him to number one with a win in that race.
3. X Y Jet – Running unreal right now, and almost got it done in Dubai.
4. Kobe’s Back – Comes with his closing kick every single time.
5. Wild Dude – He’s just awesome. Back to his winning ways at Santa Anita once again.
Sleeper: Marking – Solid effort in the Met Mile and there have been suggestions of him running shorter next time out.