1. Palace Malice – Injury has forced him to retire. He’s still on top on top for now but I don’t see how he can hold on to the top spot.
2. Wise Dan – Came back running as well as ever at Saratoga. He’s truly an amazing horse.
3. Moreno – Must prove he can do it outside of Saratoga now…if he can he has a real shot to move up the rankings
4. Itsmyluckyday – Finally broke through with a huge win in the Woodward. He’s in great form right now.
5. Will Take Charge – Just doesn’t look quite the same as when he was at his peak last year. Still running respectable.
Sleeper: Lea – Fever has forced him to sit out even longer than expected. Everyone is ready for his return.
1. Close Hatches – May have cemented herself as the champion of this division.
2. Beholder – Working toward the Zenyatta Stakes and the Breeders Cup Distaff.
3. Iotapa – Back to back Grade 1 victories for this improving mare.
4. Princess of Sylmar – Clearly didn’t come back as good as her three year old season. Career in jeopardy.
5. Midnight Lucky – Freakish type sprinter may not be able to go two turns, but has ability.
Sleeper: Don’t Tell Sophia – Came back stronger than ever at Churchill Downs.
3 Year Old Males
1. California Chrome – Huge week as he returns in the Pennsylvania Derby. Maybe the most interesting races of the year! Speaking of Derby’s, 2015 Kentucky Derby betting is already underway!
2. Shared Belief – Best horse in the country just needs a head to head victory over Chrome to pass him.
3. Wicked Strong – Blinkers have made him a very solid horse…should have won the Travers.
4. Tonalist – Two solid efforts at Saratoga, just couldn’t get into the winners circle.
5. V. E. Day – Travers victor just finds ways to win. Can he keep it up?
Sleeper: Tapiture – He was 10 lengths the best in the West Virginia Derby, and now gets a shot against California Chrome in the Pennsylvania Derby.
3 Year Old Females
1. Untapable – Running in the Cotillion this weekend against a tough group. Could be a real challenge.
2. Stopchargingmaria – Gets her chance to beat Untapable head to head in the Cotillion this weekend.
3. Artemis Agrotera – Freakish performance in the Ballerina!
4. Sweet Reason – Two Grade 1’s give her the edge over the others, and will now stretch out in the Cotillion against two horses ranked ahead of her.
5. Stonetastic – Starting to show her class as a sprinter now.
1. Goldencents – Absolute super star when he gets the lead. Track record at Del Mar last time out!
2. Palace – Won both the big Saratoga sprint races of the year. Can he take his show on the road?
3. Bayern – Going two turns once again in the Pennsylvania Derby.
4. Fed Biz – Two great performances at Del Mar have me thinking he is improving greatly and middle distances will suit him well.
5. Secret Circle – Think he’s the best of the bunch, but when will we ever see him again?
Sleeper: The Big Beast – Horse with a big time future I believe…showing versatility as well.
2 Year Old Males
1. Competitive Edge – Looks to be head and shoulders about the rest so far…can he go two turns?
2. I Spent It – Tough as nails and could improve as time goes on. Love the seasoning he’s gotten.
3. American Pharoah – Flopped on debut but showed his true colors in the Del Mar Futurity
4. Om – Fastest horse of the group so far but has only won a maiden race. Could easily be a flash in the pan.
5. Mr. Z – I’m not going to write him off after that bad Churchill performance. He’ll bounce back.
Sleeper: El Kabeir – Zayat debut winner looked awfully good at Saratoga.
2 Year Old Females
1. Cavorting – Looks to be the best so far, but not a big gap between her in the rest.
2. Luminance – Thought her debut was strong, but what is up with her now? Hasn’t had a workout in awhile.
3. Fashion Alert – Her first win was great, but her next was a little on the slow side. Think she’s still growing up a little but the talent is there.
4. Sunset Glow – Won the two big Stakes at Del Mar so you have to respect her.
5. Cristina’s Journey – Two turn victory makes her intriguing as far as the Breeders Cup goes.
Sleeper: Take Charge Brandi – I’m probably the only one that hasn’t given up on her yet…something has gone wrong in her last two races.