1. Palace Malice – Complete flop in the Whitney last weekend…he’s lucky none of his major challengers are doing much in this division.
2. Wise Dan – Skipping the Fourstardave this weekend…is this cause for concern?
3. Moonshine Mullin – Scratched out of the Governor’s cup this week at Mountaineer…not sure what’s up with him.
4. Moreno – Monster win shoots him up the rankings…he LOVES Saratoga.
5. Will Take Charge – Just doesn’t look quite the same as when he was at his peak last year. Still running respectable.
Sleeper: Itsmyluckyday – Huge Whitney effort proves he can run with the big dogs.
1. Close Hatches – New leader of this division is now three for three including an exciting win in the Ogden Phipps.
2. Princess of Sylmar – Her loss in the Delaware Handicap wasn’t a real concern to me, but she needs to rebound next time out.
3. Beholder – She’s much better than her Ogden Phipps effort and will regroup.
4. Iotapa – Back to back Grade 1 victories for this improving mare.
5. Midnight Lucky – Freakish type sprinter may not be able to go two turns, but has ability.
Sleeper: Belle Gallantey – Winner of the Delaware Handicap got a perfect set up. Will have to show us she can do it again.
3 Year Old Males
1. California Chrome – Back in training and still the division leader, but worthy rivals are starting to line up.
2. Shared Belief – He has work to do to unseat California Chrome, but has a chance to do so.
3. Bayern – He might be turning into a super freak! California horses now hold the top three spots.
4. Tonalist – Not a bad effort in the Jim Dandy, but needs a stalking trip to be successful. Tactics will change in the Travers.
5. Wicked Strong – Huge improvement when putting the blinkers on, and is now in a great spot to move up the ranks.
Sleeper: Tapiture – He was 10 lengths the best in the West Virginia Derby.
3 Year Old Females
1. Untapable – Lost to the boys, but she’s still better than all of these. Perhaps she is starting to lose a bit of form though.
2. Sweet Reason – Two Grade 1’s give her the edge over the others.
3. Stopchargingmaria – Crushed a bad bunch at the Spa last time out, and will most likely do the same in the Alabama.
4. Minorette – Big turf win still puts her in this group because the dirt horses are just not very good.
5. My Miss Sophia – Haven’t heard much of her since her dull Acorn effort…in a wait and see stage.
Sleeper: Fortune’s Pearl – Very sharp win in the Delaware Oaks could mean she’s improving.
1. Goldencents – You know this divisional is a total mess when a horse can lose a race and still be number one. Goldencents is really more of a miler as well.
2. Big Macher – Beat Goldencents in the Triple Bend for his second straight Graded Stakes win.
3. Clearly Now – No idea whether he can reproduce that Belmont Sprint Championship effort again, but if he can….
4. Palace – Become a Grade 1 winner in stylish fashion this weekend in the Vanderbilt.
5. Secret Circle – Think he’s best of the bunch, but when will we ever see him again?
Sleeper: Work All Week – Can’t forget about him.