1. Palace Malice – The showdown is here! Palace Malice vs. the world in the Whitney this weekend.
2. Wise Dan – He’s training well and getting closer to a return to the races. Hopefully he comes back running.
3. Moonshine Mullin – Can the miracle run continue? We’ll find out this weekend.
4. Will Take Charge – Word from the barn is that this guy is training super. Will we see a Saratoga revival part 2?
5. Game On Dude – Threw in another dud performance in the Gold Cup. They are starting to happen more often now.
Sleeper: Zivo – Forget about New York breds…Zivo looks likes he could be a force wherever or whenever he runs! Will he face the giants at Saratoga?
1. Close Hatches – New leader of this division is now three for three including an exciting win in the Ogden Phipps.
2. Princess of Sylmar – Her loss in the Delaware Handicap wasn’t a real concern to me, but she needs to rebound next time out.
3. Beholder – She’s much better than her Ogden Phipps effort and will regroup.
4. Midnight Lucky – Freakish type sprinter may not be able to go two turns, but has ability.
5. Iotapa – Seems to always run a big one at some point…can she string a few together?
Sleeper: Belle Gallantey – Winner of the Delaware Handicap got a perfect set up. Will have to show us she can do it again.
3 Year Old Males
1. California Chrome – Back in training and still the division leader, but worthy rivals are starting to line up.
2. Shared Belief – He has work to do to unseat California Chrome, but has a chance to do so.
3. Bayern – He might be turning into a super freak! California horses now hold the top three spots.
4. Tonalist – Not a bad effort in the Jim Dandy, but needs a stalking trip to be successful. Tactics will change in the Travers.
5. Wicked Strong – Huge improvement when putting the blinkers on, and is now in a great spot to move up the ranks.
Sleeper: Wildcat Red – Quietly having a great year, only bad race came in the Kentucky Derby.
3 Year Old Females
1. Untapable – Lost to the boys, but she’s still better than all of these. Perhaps she is starting to lose a bit of form though.
2. Stopchargingmaria – Crushed a bad bunch at the Spa last time out, and will most likely do the same in the Alabama.
3. Minorette – Big turf win still puts her in this group because the dirt horses are just not very good.
4. My Miss Sophia – Haven’t heard much of her since her dull Acorn effort…in a wait and see stage.
5. Unbridled Forever – Always picks up the pieces against bad groups.
Sleeper: Fortune’s Pearl – Very sharp win in the Delaware Oaks could mean she’s improving.
1. Goldencents – You know this divisional is a total mess when a horse can lose a race and still be number one. Goldencents is really more of a miler as well.
2. Big Macher – Beat Goldencents in the Triple Bend for his second straight Graded Stakes win.
3. Clearly Now – No idea whether he can reproduce that Belmont Sprint Championship effort again, but if he can….
4. Work All Week – Lost for the first time in forever last weekend, but losing nothing in defeat in my eyes.
5. Secret Circle – Think he’s best of the bunch, but when will we ever see him again?
Sleeper: Delaunay – He ran a great race in the Iowa Sprint Handicap, just couldn’t beat Work All Week.