1. California Chrome – Didn’t lose much in defeat in the Breeders’ Cup Classic. Still the top older male by a landslide, and will very likely be your 2016 Horse of the Year.
2. Flintshire – Proved he’s the best in this country on the turf by far, but just couldn’t catch the loose on the lead Highland Reel. Will be missed as he is now retiring.
3. Frosted – He’ll stay at number three even though he didn’t run well in the Classic. Might just be better as a one turn miler. Has also been retired.
4. Hoppertunity – Wish he would have gotten third in the Classic, but still rounded out another solid year. Picked up another check for his owners who are lucky to have him.
5. Melatonin – I’ll give him a pass as the task was tough for him coming into the Classic off a significant layoff. Ran poorly, but it was understandable.
Sleeper: Keen Ice – Unreal and unlikely to say the least for this horse to finish third in the Classic. Maybe he’s rounding back into form.
1. Beholder – Ran an incredible and brave race in the Distaff to take down the undefeated Songbird by a nose. Retires as a sure fire Hall of Fame mare.
2. Tepin – Tough luck second in the Breeders’ Cup Mile as she was very wide the whole way. Returning next year which is exciting.
3. Stellar Wind – Terrible break as she simply didn’t come out of the gate at all in the Distaff. She didn’t get to show her true talents.
4. Forever Unbridled – Excellent third place effort in the Distaff as she just brings her game every single time.
5. Cavorting – Had a great 2016, but retired before having to face the incredible Distaff field.
Sleeper: I’m a Chatterbox – Was beaten easily in the Distaff, but is still a quality mare for sure. Just not good enough to beat the top ones in this group.
3 Year Old Males
1. Arrogate – Easily will win the Eclipse Award now with his incredible win in the Breeders’ Cup Classic over California Chrome. He’s a monster and could even get better in 2017
2. Exaggerator – Will likely be remembered as a very lucky horse as he got the track he needed in three big races this year.
3. Nyquist – Retired as a Kentucky Derby champion which is never a bad thing, but never won a race after winning the Derby.
4. Drefong – Nice double for this sprinter who conquered the King’s Bishop and Breeders’ Cup Sprint.
5. Creator – Belmont Stakes winner is retired and standing stud in Japan.
Sleeper: Gun Runner– He did it again! Always runs solid races…just can’t pick up the win in a big race.
3 Year Old Females
1. Songbird – Lost very little in defeat as she ran a phenomenal race in the Distaff losing by a nose to Beholder.
2. Catch a Glimpse – Actually didn’t run too poorly in the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf, but just wasn’t ready for that kind of race.
3. Carina Mia – Weak group of fillies this year for her to be third. Flopped in the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint.
4. Cathryn Sophia – Sold for over a million dollars in the Keeneland sale, and her racing career is in jeopardy depending on what the new owner wants to do.
5. Time and Motion – Becoming a top flight filly on the turf as she’s beaten Catch a Glimpse two races in a row.
Sleeper: Going for Broke – Just ran averagely in the Beldame Stakes…but basically that’s what she is at this point…average.
1. Drefong – Hard to argue with him being number one with his King’s Bishop/Breeders’ Cup Sprint double.
2. Lord Nelson – Sadly had to scratch out of the Breeders’ Cup Sprint and is now retired. Had a great 2016 campaign.
3. A. P. Indian – Maybe he just got a little tired toward the end of the year, but still had a fantastic 2016 season.
4. X Y Jet – He gets one mulligan as he was probably short for his first race back in six months.
5. Masochistic – Very solid effort in the Breeder’s Cup Sprint, but perhaps he was just a little short in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint. This horse just needs more racing.
Sleeper: Mind Your Biscuits – Might have a funny name, but also might need to take him serious after a nice third place effort in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint.
2 Year Old Males
1. Classic Empire – Very excited about this one prospects as he has the pedigree to go as long as needed. Gutty win in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile over Not This Time.
2. Not This Time – Nothing to be ashamed of with this one as he nearly ran down Classic Empire in a close second place finish in the Juvenile.
3. Practical Joke – No match for the top two in the Juvenile, but kept to task and ran a really solid third. Won back to back Grade 1’s leading up to the Juvenile.
4. Oscar Performance – Proved he’s a freak on the turf with a relatively easy win in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf.
5. Gormley – Didn’t run his normal race in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, but we’ll see if he rebounds.
Sleeper: Lookin at Lee – Nice closing move from dead last to finish fourth in the Juvenile.
2 Year Old Females
1. Champagne Room – Upset bomb at 30-1 in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies makes her the top one in this group after losing her prep races.
2. Valadorna – Ran second off of just a maiden win in the Juvenile Fillies. Could be any kind going in to 2017.
3. American Gal – Once she gets it all figured out she could be very good. Ran greenly and wide throughout the entire Juvenile Fillies, but still finished third.
4. New Money Honey – Just keeps getting better and better as she cruised home to win the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf.
5. Noted and Quoted – Ran very poorly in the Juvenile Fillies after looking sharp in her prep race. Hard to figure her out.
Sleeper: Yellow Agate – Had a very tough trip in the Juvenile Fillies so I’ll give her a pass for now.