Three Stars of the Week
– 1st Star: Tapiture (KY) – The first major step towards Kentucky was taken Monday as Tapiture looked like the real deal winning the Southwest by four and a half lengths over Strong Mandate. Jockey Ricardo Santana was able to give him a dream trip as he broke well and saved all the ground racing along the rail the entire race. The win makes him a two-time Graded Stakes winner, and should set him up for the Rebel and Arkansas Derby as we go down the Triple Crown Trail at Oaklawn.
– 2nd Star: Don’t Tell Sophia (KY) – As expected Don’t Tell Sophia was dominant once again this Saturday. She’s winning races like a freak right now, but can she keep doing it when the competition gets a little steeper? She’s simply in a class by herself when it comes to the older fillies and mares on the Oaklawn grounds right now. However, On Fire Baby is getting closer to race which could make the Azeri Stakes very interesting in March.
– 3rd Star: Apprehender (KY) – On any other week this would have been the performance of the week! Coming off a ten month layoff Apprehender was able to put away a stellar field and win the King Cotton Stakes in an eye-popping time of 1:10 flat. Apprehender has always shown a lot of class, but showed a bit of maturity for the first time Saturday as we was able to sit behind horses and save his energy for the stretch run. The win makes it two King Cotton’s in a row for the horse, and puts him on path for the Grade 3 Count Fleet Handicap at the end of the meet.
Flop of the Week
– Win Willy (KY) – Very sad that this horse ends up here. The Oaklawn legend was dead last in the Essex Stakes Saturday, and never showed any interest the entire race. Obviously should have been retired after last year, but Win Willy has been thrown into the fire once again only this time it looks like he’s given up.
|Rank||Trainer Name||Sts||1st||2nd||3rd||Total $||Win%||Top3||Top3%|
|4||Chris A. Hartman||36||9||7||4||$265,289||25%||20||56%|
|5||Steven M. Asmussen||48||8||10||5||$537,172||17%||23||48%|
|6||Brad H. Cox||31||7||5||5||$240,539||23%||17||55%|
|8||Randy L. Morse||33||5||6||3||$200,714||15%||14||42%|
|8||Roger A. Brueggemann||26||5||3||3||$122,220||19%||11||42%|
|8||David R. Vance||17||5||2||1||$115,775||29%||8||47%|
|Rank||Jockey Name||Sts||1st||2nd||3rd||Total $||Win%||Top3||Top3%|
|1||Ricardo Santana, Jr.||104||17||18||10||$885,152||16%||45||43%|
|1||Norberto Arroyo, Jr.||94||17||14||9||$549,543||18%||40||43%|
|4||Terry J. Thompson||82||11||8||9||$370,080||13%||28||34%|
|4||Ramon A. Vazquez||69||11||8||11||$293,421||16%||30||43%|
|8||Ken S. Tohill||54||8||10||7||$281,526||15%||25||46%|
|Rank||Owner Name||Sts||1st||2nd||3rd||Total $||Win%||Top3||Top3%|
|1||Danny R. Caldwell||37||11||5||7||$204,491||30%||23||62%|
|3||Midwest Thoroughbreds, Inc.||30||7||3||3||$148,053||23%||13||43%|
|5||Driver, James L. and Ywachetta H.||12||4||4||1||$186,537||33%||9||75%|
|5||Dream Walkin Farms, Inc.||16||4||1||0||$76,816||25%||5||31%|
|7||John C. Oxley||20||3||2||3||$169,759||15%||8||40%|
|7||Ulwelling, Al and Bill||15||3||2||1||$91,818||20%||6||40%|
|7||N P H Stable||7||3||1||0||$37,907||43%||4||57%|
Preview to Next Week
– Saturday: The Spring Fever Stakes – Fillies and Mares four-year olds and upward – Five and One-half furlongs – Purse: $100,000